We got a puppy last week, and here’s what they don’t tell you… You get…
Fluffy vanilla bean waffles kissed with cinnamon and fresh nutmeg, topped with fresh berries and too much (does such a thing exist?) maple syrup!
This is a perfect recipe for both warmer and cooler weather, a perfect combination of warm waffles with cool fresh berries.
Tip: for making your waffles into the shape pictured here, use a square waffle maker and spoon mixture carefully into the moulds, ensuring not too much, so when settled, the batter doesn’t squish into the sides.
This might take a few goes to get right, but is super easy once you get the hang of it.
- 185g plain flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 40g butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- Olive oil spray (or something similar)
- To serve: fresh berries & maple syrup
1. Put waffle iron on to heat. In a large bowl or stand mixer, toss together the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk & butter and mix till combined. Fold through the whisked egg whites.
2. Spray waffle iron with olive oil spray (or something similar) and ladle batter into waffle iron and cook as per manufacturers instructions, or until browned. Set on a plate and cover with another plate. Repeat until the batter is finished.
3. Serve immediately with fresh berries and lots of maple syrup, of course.