Another Swedish retail giant has come to town, and to say that Canberra is excited…
We don’t usually associate tiny cottage industries with large commercial malls.
But a new initiative hopes to change all that.
Neighbours Markets is a new project run by a company called Prime Space which is focussed on diversifying the shopping centre experience locally and across the country.
With a standard casual mall leasing space price starting at around $2,000 per week, it can be unrealistic for small local businesses showcase their brand on a large scale.
Jessica Wattam from Prime Space has been working on the local project.
“Canberra is a town full of entrepreneurs and we will be running markets every month, alternating between Woden, Belconnen and Canberra Centre,” she says.
“Our aim is to connect large business, like Westfield, with smaller businesses and give them a platform to collaborate. The spaces that Westfield can offer, that connect people directly to businesses, create opportunity for exposure and awareness that may have not otherwise have existed.”
“We’re continuing to experience the effects of COVID-19 and supporting local has never been more important. We think we’re all in this together, and good thing happen when we come together, like continuing to support these businesses that are so important to the community we live in.”
Neighbours Markets kick off this Monday 14 June through to Sunday 20 June at Westfield Woden. Taking out the space between Lorna Jane and Sportsgirl (coming down the escalators from Big W) there will be eight small business on offer.
- The K Flowers Project – Kim from The K Flowers Project will be showcasing ever-popular and everlasting flower designs.
- Essen’s Gem – Sharna will be showcasing her gemstones and crystals.
- Prickle Hill Produce – a family-owned business specializing in farm-fresh produce including homemade sauces, spreads, oils and jams.
- Lucian Candles – Rachel and her brother and sister-in-law will be showcasing their fresh and vibrant handcrafted scents.
Golden Persian Saffron – Mahsa and her husband will be available to take customers through their range of saffron products, ranging from salts to lemonades.
- Serenity By G – Geraldine will be showcasing hand-poured, vegan and cruelty-free soy candles.
- Little Red Lullaby – Kat from Little Red Lullaby will showcase unique toys for everyday life such as busy books and sensory toys.
- Sokach Candles – Phoebe from Sokach Candles will be showcasing her extended weekend vibes, with her stunning Candles, Diffusers, and aroma crystals.
What: Neighbours Market
Where: Westfield Woden
When: Monday 14 June 10 – 4 pm, Tuesday-Thursday 15-17 June 9–5.30 pm, Friday 18 June 9 – 9 pm, Saturday 19 June 9 – 5 pm, Sunday 20 June 10–4 pm