The Enlighten Night Noodle Markets are back in town—time to eat all the food! Here’s your…
This apple and rhubarb walnut crumble is a crowd pleasing favourite for your winter dinner parties.
Sweet rhubarb and apples roasted in winter spices and topped with a buttery and caramelised walnut crumble. Best served with a side of ice cream or double cream.
What you need
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Oven proof dish
Ingredients (serves 6)
For the filling:
- 1 bunch rhubarb (around 400g) , washed and cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 2 granny smith apples (around 500g), peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For the crumble:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 100g chilled butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. To make the filling: Prepare your apples and rhubarb and pop into the large mixing bowl. Add all the other filling ingredients and mix through using your hands. Set aside.
3. To make the crumble: In the medium mixing bowl, mix through the crumble ingredients (except walnuts) using your hands. Ensure the crumble is thoroughly combined, it should have a wet, crumbly consistency. Stir through the walnuts.
4. Pour your fruit mixture into the baking dish, top with crumble and pop into the oven for 40 minutes. The top should be slightly brown and crispy.
5. Serve with an extra lug of maple syrup and your choice of ice cream (I served mine with truffle ice cream).
Storage: in an airtight container for up to a week.
For more recipes, check out Canberra based food and recipe blog, The Macadames.