“You don’t head to the farmers market because you want a bargain. You go because…
Had enough mince? Think outside the square (and think sausage) with this recipe for Pork & Fennel Sausage Orecchiette.
This recipe for Pork & Fennel Sausage Orecchiette is the perfect comfort food—and it’s a great solution for when you can’t find mince in your local supermarket, but you CAN find sausages.
I like to support local, so I use Pialligo Estate’s Pork, Fennel and Chilli Sausages—the addition of chilli gives the dish a kick that’s perfect for a cool Autumn night. If you’re just using plain old Pork and Fennel, add 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried chilli for the same effect.
what you need
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary leaves
500g Pialligo Estate Pork, Fennel and Chilli Sausages
freshly ground black pepper
400g can whole peeled Italian tomatoes, coarsely chopped
500g orecchiette pasta
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup cream
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leafed parsley
best extra virgin olive oil to serve
finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to serve
what to do
1. Warm the oil over moderate heat in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Gently sauté garlic, chilli and rosemary until fragrant but not browned.
2. Remove the skins from the sausages, crumble the meat then add to the pan and fry until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the tomatoes and their juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of well-salted water until al dente (use the cooking times on the packet as a guide). Drain the pasta, setting aside a little of the cooking liquid (about 3 tablespoons), and reserve.
5. Stir the lemon juice in to the sausage mixture, then stir in the cream and chopped parsley. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. Toss together the pasta, the reserved cooking liquid and the sausage sauce.
7. Serve on heated plates with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and top with mountains of finely grated Parmigiano- Reggiano.