Victorian-based couple Kelly and Daniel “fell in love” with Canberra when visiting a few years ago and knew they had to get married here.
With just eight guests at their wedding, they opted for an intimate celebration planned by Carissa Webster from the award-winning team at Canberra Event Management and Styling. Kelly takes us through the day.
The guest list
“We wanted to keep our wedding intimate and share our favourite place with those closest to us. We had eight guests and no bridal party, which made the day very relaxed and easy.”
“Our original plan was to have our ceremony in the gardens on Aspen Island (now Queen Elizabeth II Island), however, two days before the ceremony the weather forecast was looking terribly wet. Carissa contacted us to let us know she had been able to secure us an indoor location and that she was able to take care of all of the details. Although at first we were a little disappointed that Mother Nature was determined to send us indoors, Carissa did not let us down. She arranged the most beautiful, intimate ceremony at Ambush Gallery, at the Australian National University. It was THE most beautiful gallery space and was even better than our original plan. We could not believe how amazing the ceremony space looked. Carissa styled the gallery space to perfection with candles and flowers, and we couldn’t have asked for more.”
“We didn’t have a formal reception, instead choosing our favourite place in Canberra to eat instead: Grease Monkey in Braddon. We have been visiting them for years, they always remember us and the food is great, so why would we do anything else? We wanted to keep our intimate wedding relaxed and informal, so it was an easy decision for us.”
“I sourced my dress locally from Twelve South Bridal in Yarragon, Victoria after a word-of-mouth referral.”
“Carissa and her team made the whole experience of choosing vendors really easy and stress-free. She took care of every detail—including the ceremony, location, styling, photography, flowers and celebrant. We were able to write our own special vows and select our own music. Other than that, all we really needed to decide on was what we were wearing, our transport to and from the ceremony, and where we wanted to celebrate afterwards.
Given we live seven hours away, it made the entire process really easy for us. We were so grateful to have Carissa on our side and create a day for us that was even better than we could have possibly envisioned.”
Hosting an intimate wedding
“We would highly recommend a package with Canberra Intimate Weddings. It means you have less decisions to make and it is a far less stressful experience. It also means that the focus can be on what is important (each other) and not so much about pleasing everyone else. Many couples get caught up in what everyone else (friends, family) think is important in a wedding, when it should always be about how the bride and groom want to celebrate their love and their marriage in their own way.”
Just get dressed and we’ll do the rest!
Carissa Webster from the award-winning team at Canberra Events Management and Styling and Pat Coelho from CBR Celebrant are collectively Canberra Intimate Weddings, your Canberra small wedding and elopement specialists. “We’ve joined forces to get you married across several stunning Canberra locations in a picturesque setting and in the best way possible,” says Carissa.
Carissa and Pat love weddings so much that they decided to create Canberra Intimate Weddings to give you your perfect Insta-worthy small wedding ceremony without breaking the bank.
They’ll provide everything you need to say “I do,” giving you a stress-free engagement and wedding journey. Just buy the dress, buy the suit and they’ll do the rest!
Head to Canberra Intimate Weddings to find out more about what they describe as “the most inclusive small wedding packages in Canberra.” Packages start from $1500 for an intimate ceremony and from $2500 for a ceremony with a cocktail style reception.
Top tips for planning an intimate wedding
Thinking of following suit and planning an intimate wedding? Carissa and her clients share a few of their top tips.
- “Create a guest list of people who you “do life” with, those nearest and dearest to you who have and will be there to support your marriage and your relationship,” says Carissa. “This goes for any wedding, not just if you choose an intimate wedding.”
- Location, location, location. “Choosing the perfect space for your celebrations can be tricky – we can help you find that insta-worthy venue or if you have a place in mind, we can help transform it into the wedding of your dreams,” says Carissa.
- Choose suppliers without stress. “Make sure you choose vendors who are quick to respond from the outset,” advises Carissa. “There’s nothing worse than fearing the worst in the lead-up to your special day. Timeliness in communication shows the best suppliers who will provide you with a quality service from start to finish.”
- “For the guest list, list the non-negotiables (close immediate family) and then only invite the friends that know you well as a couple or will have a lasting friendship,” advises Leanne Wadley, who chose Carissa to plan a 65-person wedding at Old Parliament House with a reception at the Southern Cross Yacht Club marquee. “You get to make it your own, keep to the budget and you’ll have time to thank and talk to all your guests!”
- “Keep the details to yourself and explain to people that you’re having a small wedding to leave out any anxiety or pressure so you can focus on yourselves as a couple,” advise Mitch and Sharee Cadden, who with the help of Carissa held an intimate ceremony at Lennox Gardens and reception at a private room at Monster Kitchen and Bar.
What: Canberra Intimate Weddings
How much: Packages start from $1500
KELLY AND DANIEL’S WEDDING VENDORS
Wedding planner: Carissa Webster of Canberra Event Management and Styling
Ceremony: Ambush Gallery, Australian National University
Celebration: Pre-celebration drinks at Midnight Bar, Midnight Hotel, Braddon then to Grease Monkey Braddon for a relaxed celebration.
Photographer: Michael Southam Photography
DJ/band: The music that was on at Grease Monkey!
Makeup: Kate @ MYNX Beaute
Hair: Kate @ MYNX Beaute
Dress: Grace from Twelve South Bridal, Yarragon, Victoria. (Footwear was the bride’s favourite Nike Jordans accessorised with a Coach clutch).
Suits: Peter Jackson, Chadstone
Accommodation: Adina Apartments, Dickson
Transportation: Will from True Blue Wedding Cars, ACT (1956 Chev)
If you’ve been dreaming about your big day since you were little and it’s way more than intimate, that’s okay too! Awarded best stylists two years in a row, Canberra Event Management and Styling can help bring any dream to reality.
What: Canberra Event Management and Styling
How much: Packages start from $3000