Last week was one of those times that particularly ran me down. After an exceptionally…
Last night, Canberra’s hospitality and tourism luminaries gathered to celebrate their survival after an incredibly difficult 12 months.
Held in Pialligo Estate’s atmospheric vineyards, the 2021 AHA ACT Hospitality & Tourism Awards celebrated the ongoing success of our booming local tourism and hospitality industry, even after the shambles that was 2020.
Judged by an anonymous panel of expert judges across a number of months, categories across the 28 awards included Best Restaurant, Best Bartender, Best Burger and Best Wine List.
Anthony Brierley, General Manager of the Australian Hotels Association (ACT Branch) said the awards championed the best of Canberra.
“These winners represent the most outstanding product, venues, service and personnel that the local hospitality and tourism industry has to offer.”
After the last 12 months, Anthony says the industry has emerged victorious thanks to the determination of both staff and patrons.
“This Gala Dinner and Awards Night was a celebration of this industry’s perseverance and its dogged resilience. For 12 months in the face of crippling coronavirus restrictions, these venues and their employees have been single-minded in their pursuit of survival.”
“More than any Award the AHA could provide, the industry’s survival through the past twelve months is testament to its excellence.”
Here is the full list of 2021 AHA ACT Hospitality & Tourism Award winners.
- Best Food and Beverage Talent (General Division): Jeremy Magan – Pialligo Estate
- Best Food and Beverage Talent (Accommodation Division): Jocelyn Mustard – The Statesman
- Best Sales and Marketing Talent: Jess Arena – Lala Hospitality
- Best Revenue Talent (Accommodation Division): Rudy Kalele – Iconic Hotels by Geocon
- Best Traditional Pub, Inn or Tavern: The Dock
- Best Wine List: Braddon Merchant, Midnight Hotel
- Best Late-Night Entertainment Venue: Molly
- Best TAB Venue: Olims Bar & Bistro, Mercure Canberra
- Best Sporting Entertainment Venue: The Dock
- Best Cocktail, Lounge or Small Bar: The Highball Express
- Best Conference and Functions Venue: Hotel Realm
- Best Beer Quality – Draught – JOINT WINNER: Siren Bar and Restaurant
- Best Beer Quality – Draught – JOINT WINNER: King O’Malleys
- Best Beer Quality – Craft/Local: BentSpoke Brewing Co.
- Bartender of the Year – JOINT WINNER: Cameron Abercrombie – Zaab
- Bartender of the Year – JOINT WINNER: Rohan Walsh – The Highball Express
- Best New or Redeveloped Venue (Accommodation Division): Midnight Hotel, Autograph Collection
- Best New or Redeveloped Venue: (General Division): The Inn, Edgar’s
- Mid-Range Hotel of the Year: Mercure Canberra Belconnen
- Superior Hotel of the Year: Little National Hotel
- Apartment/Suite Hotel of the Year: East Hotel
- Deluxe Hotel of the Year: Hotel Realm
- Best Casual Dining Venue: 1882 Bar & Grill
- Chef of the Year: Josh Smith-Thirkell, QT Canberra
- Best Restaurant: OTIS Dining Hall
- Best Steak: Capitol Bar & Grill, QT Canberra (pictured)
- Best Burger: Grease Monkey Braddon
- Best Pub Eatery: Siren Bar and Restaurant
- Accommodation Division Member of the Year: Shannon Craig, QT Canberra
- General Division Member of the Year: Richard Watkins, BentSpoke Brewing Co.