There was a time when I didn’t realise that ‘stroganoff’ wasn’t actually the name of the…
Creamy coconut cream oats infused with vanilla bean and black tea and topped with maple roasted berries, pistachio cream, toasted pistachios and maple syrup.
The cosiest way to start the day. Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest.
What you need:
- 1 mug
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
- Food processor or blender
- Optional: Five serve size airtight jars
Makes 4 serves
For the creamy oats:
- 1 black tea bag + steeped in 1 cup of hot water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups full fat coconut cream
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the maple roasted berries:
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
For the pistachio cream:
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Fresh raspberries, chopped pistachios and maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Steep the tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes. In the medium saucepan, pour the tea, add the rest of the porridge ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the oats are soft (around 30 minutes). Keep checking it and add a bit of coconut cream, almond milk or water if it starts to dry out.
- Meanwhile, toss the berries and maple syrup in a mixing bowl and place onto the prepared baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the berries are bubbling. Set aside.
- Blend the pistachios and coconut cream in a high speed blender until smooth. You’ll need to scrape the sides down to ensure it blends properly.
- To serve: Serve the porridge warm, top with maple roasted berries and a good drizzle of pistachio cream. Top with whatever extras you like, I used fresh raspberries, chopped pistachios and maple syrup.
Porridge and roasted berries will keep in (separate) airtight containers for up to five days.